Thursday, August 13, 2009

First Dates

I have been on many, many, many first dates in my career. Some great. many not-so-great. Tonight is another night of meeting a new person and making small talk while trying to figure out if this person is worth another evening out (sushi is on the menu so even if the date is a dud the evening won't be a total wash.)

My question to all of you is this--how do you know when to keep dating someone and when to cut bait? I have done the three-dates to feel someone out, the hell-no-not-again, the feh, the hell-yeah, and so on, all with limited success. I have had friends tell me "when you know you know" and others tell stories of just getting to know someone over time in a non-dating environment then falling in love. For me, dating just feels like a giant pain-in-the-ass these days. Yes, I would love to meet someone and fall in love but it is not always in the cards for people. Do I believe that "the one" is out there waiting for me? No. Just like you have many friends that you love there are many people out there one can get along with and love as a partner...(unless David Tennant is available and then YES, we were *meant* to be together--sadly he lives in England, we have never met, will probably never meet, etc. etc. etc.)

So advice? Tips? Good brownie recipes?

I'll let you know how it went tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. First Date update...

    I've been ditched. He's home sick with his kids so no date tonight.

    Oh, well.

    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boys are dumb. Let's throw rocks at them.

    ReplyDelete